Search This Blog

Monday, October 12, 2009

Oh Alberta 2 - Calgary

Day 10: Oct 4. Calgary - Dicken's Pub
Starting to feel further under the weather. Begin to search out asian food and luck out with an elegant sushi dinner with a Calgarian gal, Mary, who I've known since we played the final Waynefest (5/5) back in '06. As an aside..."Waynefest" was a town festival put on by Kris Demeanour and his Edmontonian friends in the virtual ghost town of Wayne, Alberta (pop. 40). It is right alongside the CP Rail tracks, and literally in the heart of the badlands and dinosaurland - right near Drumheller. As a result of visiting this town, we returned in '07 to record in the town hall for the Mountain Meadows album. Many of the real train and hall noises made it to the final mix (heard in Chuckwagon and Write It All Down For You).
Back to Calgary, Dicken's pub is a basement Irish bar that holds around 400 people, and we managed to pack the place right up. People already coming in at 6PM, and the merchandise line starts shortly thereafter, pummeling Ryan and the boys with constant work. This will be the last night that I have a voice for awhile. Mark and Casey won't miss it because they don't hear me in there monitors anyways. But will the audience miss my lush harmonies? Just putting it out there...
The next morning, I am relaxing on the balcony by myself, and after a while of silence, three magpies sneak up and circle around me. They literally are a shy and curious bird, peaking at me from behind the branches before flying off. However, I've also heard that they can be fierce, so I was a little unsure when they surrounded me.

No comments:

Post a Comment